Thursday, March 17, 2011

What It's All About

So here I am, writing a blog. As I mentioned in my initial post below, I started blogging some time ago, but quickly found that what I was doing didn't work at all. Don't get me wrong, I have always enjoyed writing, but there needs to be a reason for what I do or it quickly becomes the low man on my ever-expanding totem pole of priorities. I had kept the blog anonymous because I was concerned about the reaction of my organization to my postings about my career and the things I was hoping to accomplish with them. None of what I had posted was confidential, and it wasn't critical either- though occasionally frustrated.

Presently, I find myself in a somewhat different situation. I still think the company I work for is fabulous. I still think my combination of qualifications and experience with them put me in an ideal position to be able to increase engagement and retention, lower costs, and improve sales. Senior people at the company even agree with me on all fronts when I present my plans. But it isn't going to happen right now.

I just wrote out several long paragraphs discussing the why, then looked them over and realized that some of the information contained within could be considered confidential, and I have no wish to cause any issues that way. At present, I am writing this blog and looking at my statements as if our primary competitors would be reading it, and promptly decided to delete anything that we might not want them reading. So I deleted those thoughtfully-written paragraphs and moved on.

The non-confidential gist of it is that the position I had hoped to create for myself will not be materializing for at least a couple of years. Needless to say, I find this disappointing, as I am happily engaged in my work and love the organization and culture of the company. I think my ideas represent a great deal of value-added for the organization. So does senior management, and nobody I have talked to about any of this has anything but nice things to say about me and my work. It was kind of like the corporate version of that classic break-up speech: "it's not you, it's me." In this particular case, I believe it. There are external factors at play that cannot be controlled, and this is how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment