Friday, March 25, 2011

CHRP

So, I've decided I'm going to register and write the NKE in October.

For those of you not in the know, (generally outside Canada,) the NKE is the National Knowledge Exam. It is the first step in the process of obtaining a CHRP (Certified Human Resources Professional) designation. The exam consists of 150 multiple choice questions dealing with seven Hr-related areas, and the RPCs (Required Professional Capabilities) related to them.

After I (presumably) rock the NKE, I have five years to write the NPPA (National Professional Practice Assessment) and become a CHRP.

While I have been considering seeking out my CHRP for a while now, I wasn't sure when to start, because, while my education in HR has been considerable, my practical experience, until fairly recently, was a little more limited, and I felt it was important not to end up as a CHRP with no hands-on experience. Well, for one thing, I have more practical experience these days, and for another, I have five years to acquire more if I think it necessary before I write the NPPA. I also want to be a CHRP because I strongly support some kind of accreditation for HR professionals that requires continual learning.

Continuing education is important in any line of work. As a eyewear salesperson, I didn't have the education required to become a licensed optician, however, opticians and optometrists are both required by their professional associations to obtain a certain number of CE credits in order to maintain their licenses. While this requirement is sometimes met with a little resistance, I think the value of it is immense. Can you imagine going to see a doctor (of anything) who hasn't updated his knowledge or skills since he first obtained his license? While an out-of-date HR professional might not risk lives the same way a doctor would, best practices are constantly evolving and things are always changing. I don't think I'm the only one who would run the risk of becoming somewhat complacent in my knowledge- not on purpose, but a professional life is a busy one, and it's pretty easy to miss out on seminars if there's no requirement you attend. I think I would never stop learning completely, but sometimes you hit a busy stretch and then realize that it's been years since you saw your dentist. Same thing can happen with professional knowledge, and that's a damn shame, because if there's a better way to do what you do, wouldn't you want to know it?

In any case, I'm pretty excited to write the NKE. I haven't registered yet, mostly because registration is done through your provincial human resources association, and I don't yet know what province I will be in by October 1st. Still totally pumped, though.

Man, I love what I do. How can you not love a job where you get to learn new stuff all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment