Sunday, March 27, 2011

Job Hunting

I hate looking for work, I really do. I hate it even more when I know it's coming, but can't do much to plan ahead for it.

I'm always a girl with a plan. Don't get me wrong, I can be very adaptable and flexible. But I hate having no plan at all. Sometimes that plan might have to change, and the end product might bear little or no resemblance to the plan I started out with, but there will have been a plan all along. Often, there are several plans, so I have a number of contingencies covered. Then, whenever something changes, I adapt all the contingencies as well, to try and fit the new information. (This does occasionally cut into my sleep time, but that's just how it goes.)

Right now, I haven't got much of a plan, or perhaps I have too many. Until my hubby and I start hearing back from the law schools he has applications in to, I don't even know which province we'll be in. It does make planning somewhat more difficult. I do have a tentative plan for job-hunting, and I'm hoping I'll run into some marvellous opportunities, but ultimately I am much happier when I am settled. I think everyone is, but as much as I tell myself to be excited about all the opportunities now open to me, I worry too much to really manage it.

Ultimately, I think it always sucks to be unemployed, no matter your industry. My background gives me some advantages; I'm a lot better schooled in how to put together an appealing resume than I used to be, and much better prepared to take advantage of networking opportunities. The fact that my colleagues are the ones who do the hiring for their organization should also (hopefully) work in my favour.

I think it's important to be strategic and organized about your job hunt. First off, identify what it is that you want to do. What are the likely job titles you might be looking for, what kind of tasks are involved? How is it different from what you've already done?

Secondly, determine how your skills and experience align with the needs of your desired position, and adapt your resume accordingly. Especially if your desired position falls a little outside your current experience, simply listing job titles on your resume really isn't enough, especially in the current labour market. Instead, focus on ways to highlight the applicable skills and experience you do have. Don't assume your job title says it all; it doesn't. Be explicit.

Third, understand how your industry works and what kind of industry contacts work best. For example, I use this blog, my LinkedIn and my Twitter as ways of raising my profile in the HR world, because HR, like most industries, is getting ever more tech savvy. I have personal business cards that state my name, contact information, and my about.me web address for networking purposes, and I always have a few in my purse.

All this brings me to fourth, network! and then network again! I belong to my provincial HR association. I attend events, tell people who I am and what I want, and shamelessly plug myself. Then I hand out more cards. Bug your friends and family; find out if anyone knows anyone who might be helpful. Mention your job search to anyone and everyone, and see where you get. Job-hunting is not the time to embrace your inner introvert!
Fifth would be online job boards. Networking still works better, in my opinion, as a foot in the door, because it's much more difficult when you send off a resume or application via a job board to stand out among a sea of other applicants. There exist tremendous online resources about resumes, cover letters, etc. and some of them are tremendously helpful and some of them are not, but the long and the short of it is that it is very difficult to stand out in the crowd (at least in a favourable way) via an online application. Personal connections are still the best bet.

I offer this advice because it is my own personal strategy, too. It isn't yet tried and tested; that needs to wait until I know where I'm going!

No comments:

Post a Comment