Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Inaugural Post

The funny thing is, this really isn't my inaugural post. I have been blogging for some time at this same address, but today marked a turning point when I deleted the old blog and started fresh.

The reason I ditched the old blog and moved on with the new is because that really mirrors my life right now. My old blog was largely anonymous, because I was blogging about my workplace and my career aspirations, and the things I was trying to accomplish with my current employer. Because they didn't have a social media policy, I was doing my best to keep things on the down-low in case it posed a problem to my future career. The problem with a blog like that is that I started it largely to get some feedback and ideas on my work, and also to build my social media profile.

I quickly discovered that anonymity does not work well under these circumstances. It is difficult to get any readers for your blog when it is not advertised on your twitter feed, and anonymity does not do anything at all for your social media profile.

Needless to say, my blog quickly took a backburner to Twitter and LinkedIn, places where I was actually able to build a professional presence. Eventually, I decided to rethink my strategy and move on. This blog will definitely be public. I will be tweeting about it, and I will be commenting on other people's blogs in the interest of getting some attention. I still have to manage to be interesting, but hey. That's up to me, too.

So let's call it the inaugural post: the remake. That's a little more accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment