Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Developing Policies... A How-To?

So, I was recently presented with the opportunity to develop a social media policy for my employer. I was quite happy to take on the project, because it then becomes something else that I can say I have experience in doing, and because it's interesting.

As someone with Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, FourSquare and Quora accounts, I definitely have some experience within the realm of social media. I have always considered carefully before posting anything that might be remotely connected to my employer, because to me, this is a common-sense approach. However, that clearly is not the case for everyone. There have been a number of incidents in the news recently surrounding the consequences for perhaps-unwise comments posted on Facebook or Twitter, so much so that there is a a Facebook group devoted to people who have been fired based on their Facebook posts.The most recent one that I can think of is Gilbert Gottfried being let go as Aflac spokesman after he tweeted some jokes about Japan right after the Tsunami. Given that Aflac apparently has a large customer base in Japan, perhaps he should have thought about that first. I recognize that the guy is a shock comic, but apparently Aflac felt he was way out of line.

Clearly, the boundaries between public and private online have grown quite blurred, if indeed they even exist at all. I think all corporations should have a social media policy, but the key is to make sure it is a well-thought-out one. Decide what the corporate social media strategy is first, and then go ahead and formulate a social media policy for all employees. Preferably before any incidents do happen.

Let it be said that I am a firm believer in the right of the employee to hold whatever opinions he or she would like. However, you may need to watch where you air those opinions, and the internet is not nearly as anonymous as you might think. If you're posting it on Facebook, and you're friends with your boss, you'd better watch what you say. I would think this should be common sense, and indeed, many of those online seem to feel the same. The Facebook group mentioned above seems to focus mostly on the stupidity of those who get fired based on what they've said online.

Anyway. It's an interesting issue, and I look forward to the discussion on it. In the meantime, I continue to keep my facebook private, and watch what I post on any website. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment