Thursday, March 31, 2011

How To Quit Your Job

Quitting your job is kind of a hot topic for me at the moment, and I don't think I'm the only one. My particular circumstances make things a bit easier in terms of quitting; given that I'd be leaving in order to accompany my husband to law school, I don't have the usual awkwardness of leaving one position for another. The downside of that, of course, is that I don't yet have another position lined up, but nothing's perfect. I wouldn't actually be planning to leave my present position just yet otherwise, too, because I love the company I work for and haven't quite given up on netting my dream job with them. (I'm nothing if not persistent.)

Anyway, quitting your job is always a bit of a tricky situation. Typically, there is a reason you are leaving besides an unavoidable move, and if this is the case, it means that there is a reason your current position is, for whatever reason, no longer working out for you. Maybe you've outgrown the role, gotten an offer with better pay, don't quite fit with the culture, or simply have a case of "grass-is-greener"-ism. Possibly you have a toxic working environment (I have a friend who refers to her co-worker as "the troll") or a toxic boss. I've experienced several of these scenarios myself. Whatever it is, navigating the resignation process can be tricky.

If your reason for leaving is either of the last two, you may be very tempted to waltz your way out the door, gesticulating wildly with middle fingers extended. My advice would be, don't do this. This article discusses taking the high road when quitting your job, and I think all her points are spot on. I truly cannot think of a situation where you are better served by telling your former bosses/coworkers where to go and how to get there, no matter how tempting it is. You never need to burn your bridges, and it's always a good idea to maintain as cordial a relationship as possible because you never know where you (or the company) will end up.

At the same time, I wouldn't advise dishonesty, either. Exit interviews are a good time to be honest, but be tactful. As long as you are polite about the reasons, you should typically be able to leave with bridges still intact. Just save it for the exit interview as opposed to in your letter of resignation. In my personal opinion, a letter of resignation should make sure to thank your supervisor for the opportunity to work there and maybe say one or two other nice things. The fact that you are resigning is (presumably) enough of a sting, no need to get into too much detail as to why. Keep it short and sweet.

It's also important to work out your notice. Failing to give adequate notice is simply unprofessional, and it reflects poorly on you, period. Suck it up and work out two more weeks.
It's never easy to resign. I have a friend who has been continually putting off actually giving her resignation, because she dreads the process, despite the fact that she's moving on to a fantastic opportunity. The fact is, it has to be done.

I'm still waiting for my fantastic opportunity, but it's coming. I can feel it. In the meantime, my letter of resignation will quite sincerely thank my supervisors for everything they've done and all the opportunities they've given me. I probably wouldn't be sitting here writing this otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment