Friday, April 29, 2011

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Have you ever been asked that one in an interview? It's a classic. I think most of us have come across this little gem more than once. The question then is, how do you answer it?

I think, first of all, it depends on the nature of the job. I remember being asked it when, as a starving student, I applied to a part-time retail sales position while still a student. I replied that in five years time, I hoped to have graduated and moved into a professional role. The interviewer seemed to think this was a terrible answer. I had to wonder if she would have liked it better had I lied and told her I couldn't imagine doing anything other than working for her company, maybe work my way up to full-time sales associate? I'm not good at dishonesty. And my ambitions, even then, went way beyond store manager at a mall retail outlet. Still do, as a matter of fact.

It's not the easiest question to answer. First of all, what is the person asking it looking for? Generally, I think it's safe to say that the questioner wants some idea if you intend to stick around, because turnover is expensive. This question is often looking to see how ambitious you are. I once answered that question by saying I wanted the job of the person asking it, which is a terrible answer, and I don't recommend it, but it worked in that particular case. That was a little different though because it wasn't during a job interview, but during a conversation with my mentor, and I knew him well enough to think he would think it was funny and admire my chutzpah, which he did. Thankfully, I was right, though there was some desperation involved during that momentary pause after I said it. I found myself thinking, 'dear god, please laugh. Please laugh now.' Actually, that smart-ass response might have been what cemented our relationship, but it was a risky move.

Thinking on it more, 'where do you see yourself in five years?' is a very tricky question. I mean, there's where I want to be in five years, and there's where I think I will actually be in five years, and it's two different things. I want to be a human resources manager (or director, that would be ok too!) in five years. Preferably with my current employers, but odds are low of that happening. I want to have my CHRP long done by then. I want to be managing people, implementing recruitment and retention strategies, and I want to be making a difference to my organization. I want to be on my way to the C-suite. I want to have a voice. I want to matter. I want to love what I do, love my job, love my organization.

I don't know how much any of those answers matter. Really, maybe you'd be better off asking me what I can bring to your organization, what value I can be. Because really, who doesn't want to love their job?

At least, I have learned not to tell you I want your job. Even if it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment