Monday, May 2, 2011

Progress

I recently came across an article on the hbr.org website, that talks about innovation in the workplace and what drives it. It's an interesting read, and can be found here. The gist of it, for those not inclined to click through, is that innovation and motivation in the workplace are driven by a sense of progress.

This makes good sense to me. Nothing has ever made me as motivated to be at work and kick ass at my job quite like progress. After I've accomplished something big or little, that sense of moving forward really puts me on the top of my game for a while. It's more motivating than a raise, for sure. Sometimes a promotion has the same effect, but I don't think that's because of the pay increase; I think that's because of that same feeling of accomplishment or progress. Not to say raises aren't motivating, too, but I don't think that buzz lasts as long.

I think the converse is also true. Feeling stuck, like you're at a dead end and will never make any progress is incredibly demoralizing and demotivating. After all, if you won't be making progress no matter what you do, then what's the point in trying?

This principle holds true no matter what job level we're talking about, and progress doesn't necessarily even have to mean career progression. Just progress towards a goal. I don't think a job is ever just a job, it's not just about showing up for the paycheque, unless something completely demoralizing has already happened.

I don't know. Maybe some of the managers in the crowd out there would be surprised to hear this; I know it's a pretty common perception among managers and employees both that it's all about the paycheque. But I really believe that a feeling of accomplishment is hands-down the best motivator there is in the workplace. Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment