Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bore, Boring, Bored, Bored...est?

Today I find myself not entirely sure what to do with myself. I've recently drafted a couple of projects for my employer, including a social media policy and my recruitment and selection manual. It's great to have those done, and I had a total sense of accomplishment once I did so, but now I find myself really wondering what to do next. Right now, both of those projects are in the hands of senior management at Head Office. They've been written and revised, and now I wait.

I'm not good at waiting. I know there are other projects in the pipeline that need doing, but I don't as of yet have enough information on them or the go-ahead, so I'm sitting metaphorically twiddling my thumbs. I say metaphorically, because it isn't like I don't have any work to do; I'm still doing my regular 9-5 job. All of these were extra projects that I either initiated myself or eagerly took on outside of my regular job duties. But I don't quite know what to do with myself without them.

For one thing, I'm not used to having as much free time as I do. I worked fulltime throughout most of my university career, and certainly throughout my HR program. I finished my HR program and jumped straight into these extra projects. So for the first time in a number of years, my commitments are only to my regular working week. It's very strange.

The other issue is that I don't get nearly as engaged by my regular job duties. While I always strive to perform to the top of my abilities, and am classed as a high-performer according to the company standards, I'm not that interested in my regular duties. I've outgrown this role, and everyone knows it. When I have other things to do as well, then the day-to-day doesn't seem too bad, but it gets harder once I've got nothing else going on. I've always been a bit prone to getting bored once I've learned the ins and outs, and I've hit the wall. This job really doesn't have anything more to learn or to offer; there's no challenge anymore.

Right now, I'm waiting. Waiting for head office to give me something else to do; waiting to find out if they have the budget to transition me to another role. I've never been good at waiting. There are some things that I can be very patient about, but I'm not good at bored. That is, after all, what prompted me to go ahead and start some of these projects; it's also why this blog exists. And I love twitter; the microblogging format is perfect for me. When I have a quiet minute, I can check in and see what's up in the world of HR, because that's pretty much all I do on twitter, is HR stuff. Because it's fascinating. And there's new stuff pretty much everyday, and I'm finally in a position to be able to apply the things I learn to my job. And that's just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment