Friday, July 8, 2011

Moving feels so much like standing still....

Well, we are now firmly embroiled in the moving process. Looking at places to live, sorting through books, and generally trying to be ready. We've settled on a moving date of mid-August, as it is my father's 60th b-day on the 15th and it would mean a lot to him and my mother if we could be there. It also gives me the opportunity to work out a solid five weeks notice and start organizing the hunt for my replacement.

Targeted job search is going ok, so far, though I had forgotten how much spam you open yourself up to via job boards. I have gotten a couple of calls from recruiters about a couple of openings, so we'll see what materializes out of that, and in the meantime, I see what happens. It would be ideal to walk right into a new position in Calgary and avoid the stress of the job hunting process (at least for the most part- I'm already feeling it a little.)

As a job-hunter, I understand the temptation to just blindly apply to all the jobs out there, but I'm really trying to avoid doing that. I want to find the right job, not just any job. So a lot of my time has been spent trying to decide what that means. So far, I know that I want a new position that is challenging and has a lot of opportunity for further growth. I want to be able to stretch my skillset and learn new things. I'd love a job with a focus on social media- I've spent a lot of time and effort developing a social media presence and there really is a tremendous amount of fabulous stuff out there. I'd like a job that encourages me to network within the HR community and keep up my skills, so anything looking at a CHRP is a plus. I know people have mixed feelings about the value of the designation, but in my opinion the requirement for continuing education is hugely important. HR is ever-changing, ever adapting, and we need to be ready for the changes that will best benefit our respective businesses' needs, because that's what it's all about.

So, we'll see. Right now most of my focus is on a place to live- I've sent off inquiries all over the place and we are presently arranging for my sister in law to see some places on our behalf. If I manage to wrangle interviews anywhere before we leave, I'll fly out myself and look, but for now, the internet is my best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment