Saturday, July 2, 2011

And We're Off to the Races, Folks...

Well, folks, the news is here at last. Hubby got accepted to his program at the University of Calgary, so after leaving in 09, we're heading back again!

It's a mixed bag, really. I mean, I hate moving, for one, and my to-do list just had about 50 million items added to it. So, that part is not my favourite. Not to mention, there's the expense of moving, finding a new place to live, etc. On the plus side, we're going back to a city that we both know, seeing friends again, etc. and I'm so happy for my hubby to be getting back into school again. I'm also hoping that it will open some doors for me. While I have been in touch with the Director of Professional Development, there isn't going to be much for opportunities for me. I could go back into a sales associate position, and continue with some HR support, but it would really be a step in the wrong direction for me. I've been there, done that, and got bored of it already- that's what prompted the move into HR in the first place. So, ultimately, I am waiting to hear exactly what they can offer me in Calgary, but since Head Office is in Vancouver, it's unlikely to be what I want. I still feel a tremendous amount of loyalty to the company; you don't often see companies with such an amazing culture, and I would welcome the opportunity to develop an HR management position with them, but it looks like that wouldn't even be a possibility for another couple of years at least, and I frankly cannot imagine languishing in a sales role for that much longer.

So I've been stepping up my job-hunting efforts already, in an effort to see what's out there. There are two routes, really- I could try and capitalize on my healthcare experience and look for a role in that industry, or I could try and break into the oil and gas industry. I think generally the private sector is likelier to give me the kind of experience I want at this stage- fast paced, growing companies, etc. and indeed there are some very interesting companies and opportunities that I have seen to date.

I'm not sure how successful my job hunt will be until I can get to Calgary and get organized. I'm working on my application to the HRIA, but they need a physical copy of my degree and HR certificate. The degree is no problem (it's sitting over my fireplace at the moment) but I never actually received a physical certificate for the HR Management program I completed. I have an email in to the University to see how that works. Otherwise I suppose I could scan and upload the page showing the course requirements are being completed. Once I have that membership settled, I can register for the NKE, because I now know what province I will be living in by October 1st, and I'll have access to more job listings, not to mention more networking opportunities.

I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to find what I want. After all, I have a great deal more experience than I did a couple of years ago, when I was first looking at HR in Calgary, and I have tons more knowledge about recruitment than I did then. References from the Director of Professional Development and the Executive VP don't hurt, either. So right now, I'm feeling excited, overwhelmed and optimistic, all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment