Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Problem With Experience

Alright, so I realize that some of this may come across as entitled Gen Y whining, since I am fully aware of the perception that we come out of the gate wanting to be VP's by 30. But I have a problem with job listings requiring a minimum experience level of, say, 5 years. It's just so arbitrary! Your job really couldn't be done sucessfully with 4 years experience? And doesn't it really matter what you're experienced in?

Truthfully, a high potential job candidate should learn the skills you need faster than someone of average potential. So, you may be eliminating highly qualified candidates who might just knock your socks off, simply because they learned the skills you needed faster than Joe Schmoe who took five years to do it.

I entirely understand why hiring managers do this. They are trying to discourage woefully unqualified candidates from applying for these positions, and that's a necessary thing. I'm also not trying to say that I personally should qualify for every single one of these positions- but it's certainly not uncommon for me to come across a job listing and think, yeah, this job is an awesome match for my skills! Policy development? Check! Flexible and creative? Check! Developing recruitment and retention strategies? Check! Working well with all levels of management? Check! Generating executive buy-in? Check! Primary HR person for the company? Totally! 5 years experience in an HR capacity... Nope.

Now, maybe there is a specific reason that five years' experience is required. But if everything described in your job listing fits me to a tee, (and I can back it up with references from senior management, it ain't just my opinion) and your company culture sounds like a place I'd love to be, I'm going to apply anyway. And then I'm probably going to hit your ATS system and get eliminated because I don't have enough years of experience. That drives me nuts.

If this post comes across as whiny, I'm sorry. That's really not my intention. I might be a bit frustrated, but most of that stems from the fact that my particular career path has been a bit... unusual. If I had gotten a HR job off the bat, even one doing scheduling tasks for frontline employees or something, my resume would work a little better for some of these applications. On the other hand, if I hadn't started with a company without an HR department, I would be highly unlikely to have achieved the kinds of things that I have, and the experience that I have is very important to me. I love HR, and I know I have a lot to offer. I know I've got a ton of potential, and I'm itching to get out there and let it loose. That said, I don't feel entitled. I know it's my job to prove to you that I have what it takes, and that you don't owe me a thing.

Now I just have to make it to Calgary, and start doing my networking thing. Cause that's just how it is, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment