Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Problem with ATS Systems

ATS, or applicant tracking systems, are becoming ever-more common. I'm sure any of the job hunters among us have run into these systems at least once, and probably more often than that. These systems are used as an automated way of tracking and sorting the hundreds of resumes that tend to be recieved for any job listing these days. They are designed to simplify the hiring manager's job, because the task of sorting through hundreds of resumes to sort out the exactly perfect one is incredibly time-consuming, and there is often simply not enough time to actually do it all. So, set up the computer to do it for you. Set a minimum level for education and years of experience, and the computer can filter out the dross for you, leaving you a much smaller pile of qualified candidates. These types of systems vary from quite simple to quite complex, but don't expect them to go away any time soon. On the surface of it, they are a practical way to filter through the incredible numbers of unqualified candidates who apply to your online job postings.

Any hiring manager will tell you that these systems aren't perfect. The computer can't truly think for you, and so it is likely going to include some resumes for candidates who don't really have the right kind of experience, and exclude others who do. The more specific you make your filtering, the more possibly-qualified candidates you are going to miss- but in today's job market, where there are so many applicants for every position, this may be a necessary evil.

For any of you in the job-hunting category (and I'm falling more and more into that category myself), I would never advise that you stop applying to online job listings. After all, your resume might make it through their ATS system, and land you an interview. But it is a common truism floating around the interwebs that most jobs are found through networking efforts rather than through job listings. After all, if I were the hiring manager, and I knew that someone I know and (presumably) trust thought they knew someone else who would be a good fit for the job, that would automatically make that one particular resume stand out in my mind. And a goodly percentage of the job hunt process is won if you can make your resume in particular stand out to the person doing the hiring. At the very least, it's one hell of a good way to land an interview, which is really what most of us want. Just that chance to shine, and show 'em what you've got!

Again, there's nothing wrong with ATS systems. They are most probably a necessary evil for most job listings. I personally am a bit inclined against them, because my own resume doesn't tend to do so well going through that grinder. After all, my job title is "associate", same as my 21 year old coworker from the office down the way who makes $10.50 an hour selling eyeglasses. That may be where I started, but it isn't where I am now. Don't get me wrong, the value she brings to the company is immense; after all, we exist because of eyeglass sales, making her primary function arguably the most important one in the entire company. However, I don't want to sell eyeglasses. I want to work in HR. I have experience working in an HR capacity, I have trained staff, interviewed and hired, developed policies ranging from interviewing and selection processes to social media policies, to discipline and termination. But if your ATS system is looking for "3-5 years experience in a human resources capacity" it may overlook me, depending how its filtration system is set up.

So for me, it's all about the networking. I suggest you all give it a try sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment