Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Why I Blog

I was watching my twitter feed fill up with conversations about blogging today, tweeps discussing their blogs and how to raise traffic, where most of their referrals come from, and in some cases, how their blogs have led to careers in social media. It got me thinking about blogging, and why people do it. Most of the people on my twitter feed blog as a part of their careers, in one way or another. Most of the blogs that I follow are HR-related, so that has something to do with. I also know a few people with personal blogs. A few blog for a living.

For me, I blog at least in part because it gives me an outlet for some of my thoughts and strategies. It's certainly related to career development for me, but not in the same way as most of the bloggers I know. I blog to get my thoughts out and organized, and as a tool to use when I start looking for another HR job. This blog is a forum for my thoughts and strategies, and would give potential employers a fuller look at who I am and what I do, should they be inclined to read it. The link to this blog appears on my LinkedIn profile as well as on my twitter bio and about.me page, and will be on my networking cards, once I know where my hubby and I will end up. That said, I make very little attempts to attract readers, at least in part because I'm not comfortable with that. Blogging is not something I want to do as a business, and I will continue to blog whether anyone reads it or not, at least for as long as it doesn't feel like a chore to do so. This blog has a fairly narrow scope, and I just can't believe that it would be that interesting to the world at large, but it will hopefully be a decent tool to showcase what I can do to a prospective employer, and that's really why I blog. Why do you blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment