Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Worst Interview Ever?

Well, maybe second worst. I had one some time ago where, crossing the road to get to my interview, I swallowed a faceful of gravel from a passing semi and spent the whole interview choking everytime I tried to speak. They were very understanding, but it's hard to come across as polished and confident when you're red-faced and teary-eyed.

I had a phone screening to do the other day. I had scheduled it for a convenient time, and brought up my resume, cover letter (tailored to the job listing, of course) and the job description. I was all set up and ready to go. I was prepared with a capital P.

Five minutes before the designated interview time, the fire alarm went off. And then again. And again. It seems that day was the day for the annual testing of the fire alarms, starting at 8:00 am. Apparently there had been a posted notification for it that I somehow didn't see at all.

I tried very hard during the interview to hope that the alarm wouldn't go off again. It kept going off on some kind of random interval and I knew this was going to be a relatively short interview.

No such luck.

In the midst of much shrilling of alarms and flashing of strobe lights (thank God it wasn't a Skype interview) I had to explain about the testing and apologize.

Thankfully, he laughed and commiserated with me about the perils of random alarm testing, and it must have gone ok because we did schedule an in-person interview for the end of the week.

What are your scary interview stories? Did it work out in the end, or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment