Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What I Really Want

How many of you out there have read that you should follow your passion in your life? How many of you feel that you are really passionate about what you do/would like to be doing?

For me, I don't think the answer is quite as simple as follow your passion. For one thing, you'd better find a way to make your passion pay the bills, and for another, your passion better be something you are at least somewhat good at, or have the potential to be good at, if you want to spend your life doing it. And sometimes, doing what you love isn't enough. For instance, I think it's fair to say I'm passionate about food. I love to cook, and will happily spend the whole day preparing a meal for friends or family, trying new recipes. I delight in farmer's markets and funky little restaurants. However, I've never pursued a professional career in cooking, and I doubt I ever will, because there are too many other things about a professional career as a chef, etc. that I would not enjoy, and because I'm afraid my enjoyment of cooking for friends and family would be less as a result of a professional career in cooking for others.

What I want in a job is not so much the specifics of what I'll be doing, but that I have a job that I enjoy going to. Maybe not everyday, because we all have moments lying there in a nice cosy bed when that alarm is going off where all we want to do is go back to sleep, but generally. And for me, I've managed to figure out what that means. That means a job where I get to interact with people, for one. That means a job where I have some a variety of things to do, and a role that grows and changes as I do, because I thrive on a challenge and despise being bored. That means a role where I get some say in how I do things, and where I can constantly learn new skills. It means problem-solving, and using my brain and my skills to find solutions. It also means a job in HR because I really, truly enjoy what I do, and know that good HR makes a huge difference to the culture and working environment of any organization.

If you are passionate enough about what you do that other people get bored when you start nattering on about it, that to me is a sign that you're in the right place, doing what's right for you. So I'll continue to try to make a difference in HR, and I will continue to cook for friends and family, and that will make me happy.

What makes you happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment