Saturday, September 17, 2011

Starting things off on the right foot?

So it's been an interesting experience of late, what with the job hunt and all. I have been busily trying to find that perfect fit, and am presently waiting to hear on one very good prospect and keeping my eyes open to new opportunities. Finding the right fit is a tricky proposition, but I presently have the advantage of being already employed (even if I am somewhat underemployed) so I can wait for the right fit to come along. Yesterday, I got a call about a job that frankly turned me off completely. The hiring manager left a message for me to call, so I did. Once I got through, the very first question this person asked was what my salary expectations were. When I answered, I got offered an interview, so I guess my numbers were in the right range.

 But here's the thing. Don't get me wrong, salary numbers are important, but by asking that question first, it inevitably gives me the feeling that the only thing important to you is your salary range. Just based on that alone, I'm trying to decide whether to cancel my interview or not. I applied to this company six weeks ago, and the call was to my cell, so I didn't have access to the job description right away. That makes it hard for me to tell you what I expect for salary, especially since even with the job description, you don't always really know what will be expected to you. If this is something that is customarily asked right away, I'm not sure I want to work with your company anyway. And the fact that you instantly offered the interview after that makes me feel like I should have asked for more. So I'm reconsidering this interview altogether.

 What would you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment