Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wow! So I am having trouble keeping up to my blogging in the midst of all the chaos that is moving, wrapping up my job, etc. etc.

I managed to get one thing off my plate by hiring my replacement last week. And a brutal process it was, too. We got a lot of applications, which was fabulous; it seems that my redesigned job advertisement proved very effective, because we got just a pile of resumes. We narrowed it down to the top ten or so candidates, and began trying to schedule interviews- and then I got really sick. Some super nasty virus that just took me down for the count, and it was either reschedule 9 interviews with my boss and me, or suck it up and come in to work anyway- while amply supplied with kleenex and anti-bacterial sanitizer. So, I did the latter.

In the end, we conducted nine interviews and did settle on a candidate. She has less experience than me, but wage cost was a consideration, and my boss is willing to train. We'll see how it works out; I wasn't as blown away by her interview as my boss was, but I don't have to work with her on a permanent basis. For the next two weeks I'll be training her before I go, and we'll see what happens.

The structured interview that I set up worked rather well; the structure was set and the rubric was easy to use. Hopefully it works well for the future also.

No comments:

Post a Comment